Digital Communication | News | 27 January 2016
Two centuries of Greek school textbooks fully accessible and intelligently searchable, online by HYPERTECH
HYPERTECH, as a subcontractor of TREK Consulting successfully completed an important project for the educational and scientific community: the creation of a public digital library providing open access to historical school textbooks used in the educational process from the 19th century till the early 1980s.
The project contained the following primary activities:
- Cataloguing, digitization and scientific documentation of approximately 6.000 school textbooks numbering more than 1.000.000 pages in total
- Digitization of the accompanied curricula of the same period, which include the objectives and priorities of the education policy adopted by the Greek State
- Adoption of widely accepted and interoperable metadata standards to ensure viability and extensibility of the produced content
- Effective management and projection of the scientific documentation and its corresponding digitized content
The digital library offers open access to school teachers, academic staff, researchers and the general public through a plethora of services:
- Personalized navigation and advanced search facilities providing visitors with the ability to explore how the educational process has evolved throughout the years
- Interactive timeline illustrating the most representative textbooks taught in Greek schools since the establishment of the Greek State
- Serious games for students of primary and secondary education
- Guidelines and proposed activities for school teachers to optimally utilize the digitized collection inside the class
- Responsive web layout and native mobile apps for Android and iOS environments
The project was assigned by the Institute of Educational Policy (IEP) and HYPERTECH acted as IT subcontractor to TREK Consulting.
The digital library is now available at the following address: http://elibrary.iep.edu.gr/